Saturday, May 18, 2013

I read about painting. I write about painting but where is my painting? I haven't put brush to paper for at least a week. I have sketches going (I have been sketching at least everyday) but haven't taken the time to sit in my studio and put brush to paper to add color to my life.  It's not for lack of ideas. My sketchbook is full of them as is my camera. Sit down, take a deep breath paint.

We were in Savannah from Wednesday to Friday so I didn't blog nor did I paint but I did sketch and I took a lot of pictures. I saw lots of "original" art. Many of them showed us fine techniques and good drawing and compositional skills which they used to represent scenes from Savannah but most fell flat in my eyes because they had no originality. They were geared to the tourist. Painted only to sell, certainly not to move or excite the senses. Mostly they looked like they could be photos...

Am I criticizing because I don't have those blocking and drawing skills yet? I don't think so. First, these artists were working in oils or acrylics so their techniques and overall effect will be very different from watercolors and second I do admire some of those skills but not the lack of an original voice.

Lessons I draw from this is that if I want to sell my work I need to apply drawing techniques and use my eye (my voice) for what would please a potential buyer but if I want to paint just because I love to paint and love to express my voice in color and depth then I just really need to take a deep breath and paint in my voice through my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment