Thursday, May 9, 2013

I'm reading an article in the Artist's Magazine where the artist is describing her set up and under drawing for her still life. She set up with precision, used a viewfinder and took a photo which she developed into a 4x6. Then she worked on her under drawing which took her three days to complete.

The process was precise and rather daunting to me (maybe why I shy away from the still life). I tend to take things away from my backgrounds to make them as simple as possible. Then I can concentrate on my focal point - the flower or the plants themselves. Maybe I'll try her way because while I know how to get perspective in my landscapes and my seascapes I have trouble with the still life.

One way I learn is to try different techniques, different styles. I'm not strong on precise, detailed paintings -it's not how my brain really works. My work is representational yes, but I go in for a looser style. Maybe because I don't really draw well but more, I think because I'm attracted to color and the way color conveys the message of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment