Saturday, June 22, 2013

I've been painting up a storm, actually an activity more important to me than writing up a storm. My friend Bill writes a blog and he says "Write everyday." Well, I do, but I don't blog everyday. So much of what comes through my pen is self-centered hash. I like to think I'll be able to paint everyday. I don't because I often need a day to do just about nothing and then a day to paint. This week I got that and painted.

It's funny how I can paint all day and come up with nothing. Sometimes I do come up with something that is acceptable. A couple of days ago I worked on my Lake Geneva painting and that was all. It's OK. And yesterday I painted all day; worked on various paintings and my "At the Close of the Day" was the only one that is acceptable. (It hasn't come up to my ideal of what I wanted but I'm closer than I've been). The rest of my work I label experimental.

I like experimental. I can do anything and justify it's existence and my work by saying "it was an experiment" glossing over the facts that maybe I'm not inspired today, or not on my game or really that I'm afraid to try to say what it is I really want to.

Sometimes of course I try for what I want and fail. So my lesson for myself is to try again; do research; talk to people; read; go to an art show; practice to perfect my technique. Practice, practice, practice. When one avenue is blocked do I just go home or do I look for another route.

2 comments:

  1. Your paintings are just beautiful. I love the man in the clouds, and the boat. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you express how you feel. It's important to realize that you have to keep trying. I tend to do a lot of blog reading to escape from writing. However, I am trying to write something everyday to start a new habit. Questions are good and experiences are better. I see the beauty in what you do.

    ReplyDelete